Tuesday, March 6, 2012


Today I left the house about 9.30 to go check the cows. Being that it was stormy I thought maybe one or two might have calved last night. The temperature on my mirror on my truck said 51 what a difference from yesterday of 80!
  The clouds were some what threatening and big a puffy with some blue skies. The wind was brisk and blowing some what when I got out to unlock the gate. Thought it best I keep the dogs in the truck and drive up the road first and see if the cows were close by.

 Getting a few miles down the road I  had a few deer jumping back and forth from one side to another seems they could figure out which side of the road they wanted to be on. Got to the back part of the ranch and saw the cows to my left out in a small meadow across the creek bed.  Pulled into the trough area and unloaded the dogs, my older on Foxy listens quite well but the pup Kip is still is learning, thought it would be a good day to do some lessons with her. I could see the 2 cows that I thought were close to calving and they were up and grazing… plus the other two cows that have calved were there too. I walked out and checked on every one and  all looked good. I was happy that dogs stayed by my side.

Walking back to the truck I stumbled across a rocky area and found an old pile of bottles some broken and quite a mess. I went back to the truck and got a box to take back to the rock pile and stared picking away at the glass. I did find some interesting bottles but also a lot of sharp broken glass. I carefully picked up what I could see. I had been leaning down there for a few minutes and when I leaned up I saw on the other side of the brush was a male Peacock looking at me! He was just as surprised as I was! I’m guessing the neighbors up the road have some as I have seen a female hanging around the turkeys in the last year but this is the first male I have seen. He was sure pretty, those fluorescent blue feathers sure glimmer!. Hmm wonder how that is all going to work with the turkeys? Any way back to my last of the grass clean up in the process and did manage to poke myself not once but twice by a yucca plant I can surely see why the Indians used them for needles!
 Stopped at our camp on the way out and separated the old bottles and took them over to a old table I have in front of our outside sink. The grand kids have a blast cleaning and  filling those bottles over and over again... They spend hours with them. That’s was about it for me day so no babies calves today!

No comments:

Post a Comment