Thursday, March 22, 2012

One more new calf! I think this one is a heifer.. all black soo cute..  I saw the cow that I figured was ready to calve up from our camp. so I walked up and took a peek.. I could see the momma and she seemed like she was not comfortable with seeing me and the dogs so we took it slow and I kept the dogs behind me.. Which by the way the new pup Kip is doing really good! any way we got close and the cow was looking down in the brush area just by her. I saw all black and no movement. But I know a calf will stay real still and not move a muscle, but wanted to be sure it was breathing. The cow decided to move and the calf got up and went down the hill. I saw all was good and turned around and left her alone..  I was pleased and happy!
 Now the other cow that is my heifer ( a young cow that have never had a calf) is all the way up to the top. So I went back to our barn to get the quad out and I could not get the door open.  new door and lock any was had to resort to other means.. looking down to he horse pasture I thought well my horse is here but the again it thought I have no saddle and no bit / bridle.. well lets see I can fashion a bit of some sort out of baling twine.. and tie it to the halter. I went and caught my horse Cricket and made a home made Indian type of bridle, use to do that as kids and think we were cool and ride our horses like we were Indians..) then had to find a place to jump on him.. cant do that like when I was younger. I have not rode that horse or any horse in years bare back.. ( no saddle)but I do trust my horse so I coxed him up to our picnic table and hopped on. At first he was like hmm... funny feeling me with no saddle then he must have  thought maybe this is good.. much lighter no cinch.. Up the hill we went, saw 2 deer and he watched them with a lot of curiosity but didn't spook.. I could hear the other horse calling out for us from down below.. up the hill we trucked on.. its steep and Im glad I was on him.. we got to the top and most of the cows were there  ( we call that top Mustang flat as when we had a few mustang horses that is where you would find them on top keeping a eye out. there I  found the heifer and she is coming along but I say she had another week.. any way back down we went it was a beautiful day the lime green buds are blooming on the white oaks trees. the clouds were patterned as plowed fields against the blue skies.. all is well today ..




No comments:

Post a Comment